Corfu, an island located in the Ionian Sea off the west coast of Greece, is a popular destination for tourists seeking a blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Here are some of the top things to do on the island:
- Visit Corfu Old Town – This UNESCO World Heritage site is a maze of narrow streets, historic buildings, and quaint cafes. The town is home to many museums, including the Museum of Asian Art, the Archaeological Museum, and the Byzantine Museum.
- Explore the beaches – Corfu has some of the most beautiful beaches in Greece. From the popular Glyfada Beach to the secluded Paleokastritsa Beach, there is something for everyone. Visitors can enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Take a boat tour – Visitors can take a boat tour around the island to explore the coastline and nearby islands. There are many tours available, including sunset cruises, beach hopping tours, and snorkeling tours.
- Visit Achilleion Palace – This stunning palace was built by Empress Elisabeth of Austria in the 19th century. The palace is surrounded by beautiful gardens and offers panoramic views of the island.
- Hike in the countryside – Corfu is known for its lush countryside, with many hiking trails leading through olive groves, pine forests, and vineyards. Visitors can enjoy the scenery and wildlife, including birds of prey and wildflowers.
- Try the local cuisine – Corfu has a rich culinary tradition, with many dishes influenced by Italian and Ottoman cuisine. Visitors can try local specialties like pastitsada (a beef stew with pasta), bourdeto (a spicy fish stew), and kumquat liqueur.
Overall, Corfu offers a wide range of activities for visitors to enjoy, from exploring historic sites to relaxing on beautiful beaches. With its stunning scenery and rich cultural heritage, Corfu is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Greece.
Image by Paul Edney from Pixabay